Monday, March 18, 2013

Weekly Internship Post 3

So, because of the Tiputini trip, this week I only had interning Tuesday-Thursday :)


CENVIDA


On both Tuesday and Thursday, I worked with the big kids again at CENVIDA.
Since I switched dates of my internship, I never see the youngest girl Alejandra (the tallest 2year old) anymore because she only comes on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
 
Poop :(

Also, Yamileth hasn't been showing up since last week either, because she had an operation (in which I believe Rosita was explaining that it was for the hearing aid thing that goes on the head) and it would take about a month for her to recover.

So the little kids' classroom has been relatively peaceful these passed couple of workdays.

It's a little sad even though they were the hardest two to work with, but they were the ones that were also really giving me the challenge to understand them and gave me tons of motivation to read their hand gestures and body language.

However, I also really realized how much I enjoyed working with the big kids. Before the teacher arrived on Thursday, I had an amazing time trying to understand the questions they had for me and trying to answer questions by making hand gestures and writing words and pictures on the wall. As much as I am interested in childhood education, I really appreciate the fact that I can actually have a decent conversation with these kids (more or less even though I struggle trying to read their minds).

I'm still trying to figure how to work with the teacher though, that's also one thing I will need to overcome through this experience. She has the full ability to hear and converse but it's a challenge because she intimidates me a tad bit with her attitude of full-on carelessness.


FEVI/ Muñequitos de Lumbisí

The only work day of this week-Wednesday :)

I feel like recently I've been getting sent to the Leonsitos classroom more often.

Honestly speaking...they are a pain in the butt.
Like I've said multiple times in the past though...they are only A YEAR younger from the ositos group but they are myyyyy oh my so freaking talkative, they do not listen, they do things just to piss you off right in front of your face with a smirk, etc etc.

Many times I feel super jealous of my friend who is always left at ositos working with my favorite little boys and girls (I know its not good to have favorites, but hey I'm human too).

But, I also feel accomplished when a child that's been running around ignoring what the teachers have been telling him finally listens to what I say and finally becomes manageable.
Of course, just because he does that one moment, it doesn't mean he'll do the same the next second.

The reward only comes for a short time period but a reward is still a reward no matter how small and it really does make me happy being able to have some ability to discipline these children.

No comments:

Post a Comment